Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Joys of Learning While Teaching

When I first started homeschooling in 1999, I had two students, a fourth grader and first grader and a toddler who loved to be a part of it all.  I was overwhelmed at the idea of keeping up with all the subjects to be taught and how to go about it and keep my sanity and my two year old off the dining room table.  Fast forward twelve years later to two graduations and a thirteen year old, who although he doesn't climb on the dining room table anymore, does love to be active.  I've looked back to those years of uncertainty and realized that I really did stress a lot of the small stuff and I might not have enjoyed the time as much as I could have.  When my daughter graduated last year I thought of all the busyness of those early years.  They were challenging and delightful all at the same time.  When I had all three children in school we kept busy and I moved from one student to the next, answering questions and correcting papers.  So I thought teaching only one student might be much less exciting and it made me kind of sad.  But to my great surprise, I've learned that it is really a lot of fun.  The best part about it is that I'm learning too!  I have to say I've learned a lot while teaching my children over the years.  History, science, civics, many of the subjects that I had glossed over in my own schooling became more alive to me.  Now that my youngest will be starting his high school years I can learn some of those more difficult subjects right along with him.  I have really enjoyed delving deeper into science and math this year and it is simply because I have more one on one time with him than I had with the older children.  I was much busier being a mom than a tutor.  My older children were also much more independent learners, where my youngest really likes me to sit with him and coach him along.  So if you're like me, or will be someday, or the parent of one homeschooling child, I encourage you not to feel that homeschooling one child might be boring.  It is so much fun to learn right along beside your child.  Enjoy and may God bless your homeschooling years.

6 comments:

  1. That is one of the things that excite me--learning with my children. In one area particularly--history!! There are so many gaps and spaces in the timeline of history for me that I am really looking forward to it.

    It's comforting to know that not every homeschooling family began homeschooling from day one. I'll be starting at 3rd and 1st grades, with my 4 year old tagging along.

    I'm blessed by your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I homeschool our only daughter right now. I find myself constantly thinking about how much more exciting it will be when we have more kids to work with all day. We are in the process of fostering to adopt so it won't be much longer before we have more kids in the house. Thanks for the reminder that I should really cherish what will probably be our only time together ever again :( Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words Stacie. I love history, now that I've learned it. It was very confusing and abstract to me before homeschooling my children. Once I learned things in order, by a timeline, and that God had created all, in six literal days, about six thousand years ago, it made so much more sense. Praise God that He opened my heart, and eyes and ears! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leila,
    I'm so touched by your comment. What a wonderful blessing that the Lord is bringing more children into your home, that is so exciting!!! I would love the opportunity to teach more children in the Lord! Yes, enjoy your season and praise Him for the joys set before you as well. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I really climb on the table?

    ReplyDelete