Monday, June 6, 2011

A Dad's Role

Lately I've been thinking about the very important role my husband has in our homeschooling.  Besides being the principal, he is our leader.  He also deserves all the credit for encouraging me along this road all these years.  If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have taken this on at all.  At first, he wasn't so sure about homeschooling.  He wasn't sure that it was the right thing for us.  He had all the concerns that a lot of dads have in regards to the children and their learning the important things; like math.  I could understand this concern since math was my weakest subject in school.  But after much thought and prayer and several one on one interviews with other homeschooling families, he was sold.

He has been a wonderful encourager and has been there along the way to pick up and help out when needed.  When I felt like things just weren't going to work out he encouraged me to stay the course and not give up.  He believes we are doing what the Lord has called us to do.  He will be the first to tell other dads that homeschooling is the best thing that they can do for their children.  He has taken me to many home school conventions, because he knows they mean a lot to me.  He is the one who shares with others how wonderful the conventions are and how they are very convicting to him.  He also takes our family on many educational vacations traveling to places that are historically important because he loves our country and wants our children to understand its history.

As Father's Day approaches I hope to do something very special for him so that he knows how much he means to his family.  I'm afraid we just don't let him know often enough how much we love him and all he does for us.  As our youngest son begins his first year of high school at home next year I know my husband will have many ideas for his growth toward godly manhood.  I already know that there are some wonderful woodworking projects and drafting lessons in the works.  Some have even been completed; check out   picnic table on our family blog.

Happy Father's Day and happy homeschooling!

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    Great post. Often times, many homeschooling blogs don't mention the Father's role and how important it is to the education. Although many fathers are not at home during the schooling, their roles are still very great and influential.

    My husband is (and always has been) our "fitness coach." He played college football, has a minor in coaching and loves to stay in shape. So, he is excited about the opportunity to teach P.E. to the kids on a regular basis. Homeschooling is affording him the opportunity to instill a healthy, active lifestyle in the the kids. That's something that is important to him as their dad.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Stacie. I didn't mention that my husband does not work at home. He works many hours and sometimes has to travel. But he always sets aside time to do something special with the kids. I think that sounds like a lot of fun that your husband will be the fitness coach. It's so important for them to be involved. And the kids love it.
    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Dad's play a very important role in homeschooling. We view our homeschool journey as a partnership, not a mom thing. We choose our curriculum together. We plan field trips and projects together. I am very grateful God had led him to play a very active roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you for your comment. It's great to hear about other husbands and fathers who are so involved in their children's education.

    ReplyDelete