Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It's Fair Time

One of our local country fairs will be in full swing this week.  For many years we have enjoyed going to this fair and also entering items into it.  This year is no exception.  This is part of our homeschooling experience as well.  As I have posted in the past, we love homesteading in our family.  Animals, gardening and canning have been a big part of our homeschooling years.  This year our home garden has been the biggest focus for our exhibits.  We will be entering canned green beans, tomatoes, salsa, jams, and a variety of pickles.  We will also be building a garden display with squash, pumpkins, carrots, beans, tomatoes and more of our canned veggies.  This is the first time that we have done this much and it has been a great learning experience.   My son Matthew will be entering some craft items, a handmade toy raft and a candle.  My daughter Holly and I are also entering some sewing projects.   I am by no means an expert in any of these areas so it is always fun to see what the fair judges have to say.  It's actually a great way to lean to improve on skills.  Many experts judge the items and give great advice on how to do things better the next time around.  I have heeded their advice in the past and it worked out great.  It is a time off from school books, but the weather is beautiful and it's too nice to be in anyway.  This is a great way to learn about God's creation by  participating in an agricultural fair.  I'll let you know how we make out at the fair in my next post.
Happy Homeschooling!


Matthew making the pickles he's entering into the fair.



2 comments:

  1. Oooh!!! This sounds like so much fun!! In my "fantasy dream world" I would love to try my hand at homesteading! (LOL)

    I wanted to try canning this past summer, but my garden wasn't big enough for me to can anything. And with this summer's heat + morning sickness, my poor little garden started falling by the wayside. :( Maybe I'll try again next year!

    Let us know how it turns out. (I hope you all win!)
    Take care,
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacie,
    I'll post our results. We just got home from setting up our display. The competition is very stiff! But we had fun setting up and are looking forward to our day at the fair.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete